Thursday, July 24, 2014

Emily Henry - Blogger, D.C. Pioneer Woman


1.  Tell us about yourself, connection to Ave and your blog.

 I was one of a small number of final freshmen admitted to Ave Maria College before the closure of the Michigan campus. Since we were the last freshmen class, we were endearingly referred to as freshmen even throughout our sophomore year. Upon its closure, I transferred to Hillsdale College where I finished my B.A. in Classical Studies. Since then, I moved to the Washington D.C. area, where I work as a nanny by day and an online Latin instructor by night. I have been blogging for over a year, writing short stories. My newest venture is D.C. Pioneer Woman, a blog in which I enjoy sharing innovative ways to do things with small town values in the big city.

2.  What spurred you to start your own blog and what keeps you going?
There isn't a time that I can recall in which I wasn't fascinated by books and words. Growing up, I was inspired by the stories written by Louisa May Alcott (Little Women), L.M. Montgomery (Anne of Green Gables), and Laura Ingalls Wilder (Little House on the Prairie). I wanted to be like them (even if some of their characters were fictitious). I dreamed of emulating both the authors' and their characters' achievements, having high hopes of becoming a writer. I realized, what better way to start gaining experience writing than within the medium of blogging?


As to what keeps me going: wanting to bring both joy and creative ideas to my readers. I don't want this blog to be all about me or some façade of perfection. Instead, I want it to be a place of delight and inspiration for my readers. I want them to walk away feeling excited about life. It is my hope to provide a very honest, down to earth blog for people filled with all kinds of fun reading, including tips on food, fashion, travel, fitness, organization, and cleaning.
3.  What is your favorite part of your blog? 
Since my blog is very new, I think I would have to say my favorite part is the excitement and freshness of it all. I hope it will be a fun place to share ideas and to encourage one another in our ambitions to live life to the fullest and with purposefulness.

4.  What are you most proud of achieving in your blog 
I think the fact that I have actually started this blog is an achievement for me. I am most grateful to my friend Carol who listened attentively to my ideas and encouraged me to go for it. Honestly, I owe the start of this blog to her.

5.  What is your work process? 
 am not sure I have anything definitive set in place as of yet. I do know, however, that in order to think clearly and creatively, I need to be in a place where I feel at ease (coffee shop, couch, comfy chair, outdoors in a beautiful setting, etc.) and generally sipping something, like a latte, tea, or water. I need to be fully present and focused on the moment. I also have a favorite Pandora station that I have listened to since college that helps me get into my creative groove.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment will be posted after moderation! Thank you!